Sunday, July 11, 2010

Lighten Up

Hello!  It's already Sunday and time to start the work week again.  I got to spend some time outdoors Friday night with a friend.  We went to see Shakespeare on the Green.   "Romeo and Juliet" - but of course!
I was a little disappointed how very plain the set was - extremely plain.   I thought the director kept the theme a bit dark with a "man in black" lurking around which I interpreted as death and there were a bunch of people chanting endlessly which was a little creepy to me.  I mean,  we know they die in the end but come on! Needless to say we left early.  But I did enjoy some time outside to catch up and picnic with a friend!

I have been doing some cooking this weekend.   Lately I feel a bit sluggish and without much energy...  I'm sure it's because of the way I've been eating.  Going out and getting junk doesn't do the body good! 
This is my chance to turn things around and start eating more nutritious food.  Especially since there are such great fruits and vegetables at the farmers markets available now!  I also need to get to the gym I have a membership to.  They've been enjoying getting money every month even though I'm not there!

My mom and I both happen to have this cookbook by Ellie Krieger.  We like cookbooks...


So Mom challenged me to make at least 2 recipes a week out of the cookbook!  Like in "Julie & Julia" (I loved that movie and it inspired me to start this blog).  So this weekend I am making a couple chicken recipes that are from Ellie's  archives online but not in this book.  I happened to have printed them out a few yrs ago.  Thought I'd at least start there since they sounded good.
Tonight I made herb crumb crusted chicken and it smelled wonderful and was tasty as well!
I have prepared part of the recipe (the chicken) for the curried chicken salad.  Because it calls for tossed mixed greens I wanted to make it fresh right before eating.  

                                               Ellie Krieger Food Network (recipe link)

Let me know if you try these!  Maybe I'll blog about the ones I prepare and I thought were tasty enough to share with you!   Would you like that?  Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It might be fun to take your mother's challenge. Let us know how it goes. You might be another budding Julia. G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM this all looks so good! I am so glad you stopped to visit me & leave a comment. I wish I could take credit for that cute little cottage that was decorated for Christmas but, alas... it belongs to my friend Sandy who was just published & I was just bragging about her in that post & sharing a little of the wonder of her darling studio. Hope you'll come back to visit often. And those rolls you showed in that iron skillet made my mouth water. Guess I need to go eat some lunch. Charlene

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment!