I just love kids! Just ask anyone I know and they'll tell you how I gravitate towards them. Sometimes they gravitate towards ME!
I unfortunately don't have children of my own but hope to... one day. Many years of my life have been spent caring for children in some way. Whether it consisted of baby-sitting family members, children of friends, or volunteering in the children's ministry at church. I've also volunteered at the local children's hospital but quickly found out that being a pediatric nurse wasn't something that I could hack. However, children bring me great joy in life.
A long while back ago there was a time that I considered becoming a foster parent. I went through the classes and everything. They were hard classes to endure. The sad stories on how children end up in foster care can really wrench your heart. It was an odd group of potential foster parents. Single, married, & a few bitter family members required to be there. I was amazed at how many couples were there because they were going that route to adopt a child. So imagine their dismay when we were all reminded that the goal is to reconcile children with their families. If that wasn't in your plan you probably shouldn't become a foster parent. I wondered how I'd be able to let a child go back to a potential abusive situation after caring for them for a long period of time.
After I went through the normal processes required in becoming a foster parent something happened that made me feel that God temporarily shut that door. I have left that door shut until it's time to revisit and stand before it once more. I know that someday it will be an option for me again, when the timing is right. I think that's why I am so inpired by Amy's story and how wonderful it is to see her making a difference in Alfredo's life. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14

You are FANTASTIC with kids! C loves you to pieces! It would take something very special to be a Foster parent. I'm not sure how I'd do with the letting go part...
ReplyDeleteYOU are a blessing to many!
Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Aww thanks Jenn! You're a sweetie and C's already got a piece of my heart! :)
ReplyDelete